Because you’ve asked, here is your 2016 updated list of online counseling directories.
However, therapist beware – not all directories are equally useful.
Some are free, many are not.
And, certainly not all get much traffic or result in you getting much traffic to your website or calls to your office.
Do Your Research
Before you take the time to fill out the profiles or send them your hard earned money, do your research.
Notice if you’ve ever even heard of a specific directory.
Check out the Alexa ranking for each directory.
If the directory requires payment, ask them for a 6-month free trial before committing.
Ask colleagues you trust if they actually get paying clients from their directory listings.
And, if you get recommendations for specific directories from the groups where you hang out on social media, don’t take them at face value.
Most of the groups on social media that I am familiar with are liberally seeded with professionals who have financial incentives to market to you.
That includes online directories, graphic designers, virtual assistants, web developers, marketing coaches, and others.
These individuals may or may not have your best interests at heart but they will likely have financial incentives to point you toward particular businesses.
The 2016 List of Online Directories for Mental Health Professionals
- All About Counseling
- Alternative Therapists Directory
- American Therapy Association
- Associated Relationship & Marriage Counselling Sydney
- Australia Counselling Directory
- The British Psychological Society
- Counselling Directory
- Denver Therapists Network
- Ethnic Counselors
- The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
- Gay / Lesbian Medical Association
- Google Business Directory
- HelpPro Therapist Finder
- International Therapist Directory
- Integrative Medicine for Mental Health
- Licensed Therapists
- Life Quality Improvement Center
- Marriage Counseling & Therapy Network
- Metro Atlanta Therapists’ Network (MATN)
- My Therapist Match
- National Directory of Family & Marriage Counseling
- New Jersey Association of Women Therapists (NJAWT)
- Psychology Matters Asia
- Right Therapist
- Self Growth
- Talking Therapy
- The Therapists Directory
- Washington [State] Counselor Directory
If you participate in any of these directories, I hope you will take a moment to let us know which ones are working well for you, which ones are not, and what, if anything, you are paying for the listing.
And, of course, if you know of other online directories for mental health providers, please do take a moment to let us know about them so that we can continue to strengthen our practices and our networks as a professional community!
Latest posts by Tamara Suttle (see all)
- How to Help When Your Colleague Dies - August 29, 2017
- How To List Your Credentials As A Mental Health Professional - June 20, 2017
- The Therapist’s Ultimate Guide to Packaging Therapeutic Services (Part 3 of 3) - June 9, 2017